Warning Signs Fungus is Affecting
the Health of Your Lawn
The ProLawn Advantage team has been developing lawn fungus control for the market since 1981. We have selected the best applications and sequences of treatment for both Northern Virginia and Eastern West Virginia.
In Northern Virginia there are many types of lawn fungus that can pose a threat to your lawn’s health. Rapidly changing cool or hot temperatures, not enough or too much fertilization, unbalanced fertilization and certain watering habits can all contribute to the onset of a lawn fungus or disease. Some warning signs that a lawn fungus of some sort is affecting the health of your lawn include:
- Bare Spots
- Brown Patches
- Yellow Grass
- Bleached Looking Turf
- Stunted Growth
- Shredded or Shriveled Grass Blades
- Small Lesions On Grass Leaf
- Dark Growth
ProLawn will determine the lawn fungus that is causing damage. These particular fungi that damage our lawns are parasitic and basically steal nutrients from grass and our plants, which causes the grass to decay, turn brown or in some cases die. When a fungal spore encounters a lawn condition in the right environmental conditions, a disease is likely to develop.
Here are just a few of the lawn fungi that ProLawn treats:
- Yellow Patch – Circular patches of light tan to brown grass, favored by cool, wet conditions.
- Pink Snow Mold – White to pink fungal growth that feels slimy, favored by abundant moisture.
- Gray Snow Mold – White to gray fungal growth that may form large irregular patches, favored by abundant moisture or snow cover.
- Leptosphaeria Patch – Circular yellow patches or tan to brown grass, favored by cool, wet weather.
- Stripe Smut – Stunted grass with a lighter yellow to green color, favored by high moisture conditions.
- Leaf Spot/Melting Out – Tiny, circular, dark spots or larger purplish spots, favored by cool air temperatures, moist conditions and improper mowing.
- Red Thread/Pink Patch – Small, light pink to red patches, favored by cooler weather and moist conditions.
- Dollar Spot – Circular patches with reddish-brown borders, favored by humidity.
- Brown Patch – Circular, light brown patches, favored by moist conditions or areas that remain wet.
- Fairy Ring – Circular patches of dark green, often enlarged into rings, favored by mild temperatures and moisture, and sometimes in dry, hot conditions.
- Rust – Small, yellow flecks on leaves, sometimes enlarged to form rust-colored pustules, favored by moderately warm and humid conditions or stressed turf.
You can read our post about lawn fungus located in our Learning Center for more information here: https://swr1.cc/A2Q4B
Call the Pros at ProLawn @ 540.662.8316 right away at the first sign of a fungi infection. Of course our licensed registered techs will be looking for fungi infections during regular lawn care program service visits as well!